Thursday, February 28, 2008

Stage 9 - Squeegees

Well as promised Stage 9 released "Squeegees", their first of a slate of 20 programs to debut on ABC.com and through online video giant YouTube. "Trenches" will be one of those programs. So go watch the first two episodes of "Squeegees" and give your support if you enjoy it. Congrats to Stage 9, and Squeegees! Very exciting

LA Times writes about the debut, Stage 9, ABC, Disney, and mentions "Trenches". It's good coverage for Stage 9 and a great start. I love the picture!

Here is Stage 9's press release from their site

Here is the question. What type of advertising and promotion do you find about the release of Stage 9 and Squeegees? Do you feel the studio is doing their job or really hitting it hard for Stage 9 and promoting their product?

What I would want to see is ads, click through, or something on major sites such as yahoo, google, etc, with banners, and I don't see anything about it on youtube yet, or really anything major but abc.com - It's still early to tell as the release just happened today. I see good fortune for Stage 9 and I think it will all grown and get bigger. Baby steps.

If I do a yahoo or google search for "Squeegees" in general on that word, I get tons and tons of non related sites dealing with window washing, janitor supplies, floor cleaning and so forth. Pages and pages that do not relate to the Squeegees new web series. If I do a specific search for "Stage 9 Squeegees" I get just a hand full of sites dealing with the new series, my blog comes up as #3 on the search, so what does that tell you, as no one reads this blog.. ok .. I am sorry, I think we are up to 20 of you read my blog now .. but what I am saying is that I want to see pages and pages talking about the new series "Squeegees" and Stage 9.
Actuall it apears there are more then 20 of you now, as it seems some of you guys are actually reading my silly rants and poor grammer write ups. Maybe I need to start watching what I am saying now.. no telling who is reading this.. what do you guys think.
Here is an article I found that Doug pulled form my blog.. what's up Doug!
So you guys are sending me some love.. ahh right back at ya.

Now think about this. I had to do a specific search on "Stage 9 Squeegees" just to find a hand full of news and sites. What if I didn't know anything about this Squeegees new series, or Stage 9. I have never heard about it, I don't even know what it is.. how would I happen to find out about it?? huh? How is it that I would just run across and watch? ..Swirl that around in your mouth for a while.. how's that taste? Because it taste like jack diddle squat to me :)

It's very early and "Squeegees" just released today, so it is very early and perhaps the snowball will build and pick up momentum. Let's be watching and help promote yourself if you like it.

The one thing about online content or the Internet in general is that everyone needs to understand it is very very easy to get buried and lost on the web. There some 7 million plus unique sites on the web. Audience are not just going to find you. You have to really let people know your content is out there and advertise, promote, market and hit major numbers of people. That takes tireless work. To just rely on viral video to happen is lighting in a bottle, or you get lucky, and sometimes it takes a long time. It actually has to be planned and worked to get people to find your content, and that means media relations, press and if your content is online that is what you should be hitting, and lots of it. TV Network spends millions on advertising. Think what would happen if then spent just a fraction of that on online advertising. I think you will see more and more of that soon. If they are smart.

One big web hit series "Quarterlife" was picked up by NBC and premiered to Tuesday Night TV Watchers and did very poorly. Even my buddy Chris covered the story, as he always seems to have his finger on the pulse of online content.

Have any of you heard of Quartlife? I bet some of you haven't. But where have you been this is a huge successful web series and has a huge following, over 6 million streams!

Ah.. so you see my point maybe?

I enjoy "Quarterlife" myself and find the writing very well done and with some engaging characters. It's not my full cup of tea but I have to take my hat off to them. It did poorly because they already showed their episodes online and on MTV, so what was aired on NBC this week wasn't new, so of course no one watched. NBC says they did great advertising for the show.. but did they? Quarterlife was on NBC front page yesterday and now you can barely find it on their site. sad.

My point folks is that audiences are not just going to magically find you. I still have people emailing me saying "wow, I just came across your site and watched Revelations. I really enjoyed it!" It's been 3 years now, and still new people discover and find it.
So let me know your thoughts if you have any. How about you Tish, your very smart :)
For me, I will just keep working on Trenches and doing what I do.. hopefully we will meet up on the otherside, and hopefully you like what I come out to show and I still have your support.

3 comments:

Kevin Christensen said...

Hello Shane.

I've just checked out 'Squeegees.' Looks like it could be pretty cool! I'm interested to see what they and the rest of you guys with Studio 9 come up with (especially excited about 'Trenches')

Wasn't too impressed with 'Quarterlife,' but it may be my dislike for soap operas talking... still you pose some interesting points about web marketing and audiences. Sure a good marketing campaigns could be better, but a lot rests on viral networking, wouldn't you say?

Do you think web content should be designed for a viral audience, or do you think traditional formats can be adapted to work on the web?

Kevin

SHANE FELUX said...

viral networking is really the key to web content but it should be combined with traditional formats of advertising, so you are hitting two fronts.

For example it is easier to hit say just the scifi fans on those smaller circles, but you want to hit is the general audience as well and those who are not in the know, or are not on "Ain't it cool news" 24/7 or specific interest areas or conventions. You want to hit the fans and those to be potential fans or followers.

The only way to do that is get your stuff shown and in front of as many people and then they make the choice to watch or not. But if they do not see it, hear about it or know about it, then your lost.

Thanks for the comment and support Kevin!

Kevin Christensen said...

I totally agree, you need to aim for as broad an audience as possible, but what exactly do you mean by 'traditional formats?' TV spots? Billboards?

The problem with those is that how are people going to remember the website for your show if they can't click on the link?

That pretty much leaves web advertising as the best way to advertise web series. Make it simple, right? just click and you are there. I assume this would mean banner ads, myspace and facebook campaigns, etc? Do you know how you plan to market 'Trenches' yet?

I recently directed a web series, so this question has been bugging me for a while now, just so you understand where I'm coming from.

Kevin