Thursday, October 13, 2005

Home on the Range


This is some old news, but, well I am really trying to get things up to speed on this blog thing, and who knows some of you might enjoy it.

So, I actually had the distinct and remarkable pleasure of visiting Skywalker ranch and the beautiful rolling hills of Northern Cali. To me this was a day dream of a lifetime and something of a childhood dream as well! I was walking on holy ground as far as I was concerned and it was a great treat and honor.

To begin, I was in LA doing a guest spot for G4TV on "Attack of the Show" and had a great time in LA seeing the Chinese theater, the Hollywood walk of stars and other great sights thanks to a talented friend Peter, who is a great writer in LA, LA Land.

One thing I have to say about LA is that I really thought I would hate it. All the fake beautiful people and their bullshit promises of "let's do lunch" and "I'll have my people call your people" crap. as I am not like that at all! I am a person that puts his pants on one leg at a time and feel that other people do so as well, regardless of what you do for a living. We are all just people. But you know what, I was totally wrong about LA. The people I met were not fake and plastic like I thought. Actually they were very friendly and even courteous. The weather was gorgeous and I really though "Yeah, I could get use to this town. It's actually really nice"

While I was on the west coast another remarkable friend invited me to come up to Northern California and have lunch at the ranch. This was a great honor and I was thrilled to be even invited! So I took him up on it.

Now Skywalker Ranch is located in the rolling hills of Merin County (a beautiful place.. my kind of place) and so I was driven through the twisty windy hills and I tell you, I could find the ranch again even if I wanted to!

There is no big gate or anything that would make you blink to think anything important is back there. The entrance to Skywalker Ranch actually just looks like any other ranch entrance. But if you did find it you still wouldn't get far, as soon as you go up the road, once inside the property, there is a security station and they know exactly who you are, and if not they will find out quick.

Once past security you drive through the property towards the Main house and drive past the SkyWalker Sound building, and even through the small vineyard where the grapes come from to make Skywalker Ranch wines which is bottled and made at Coppola vineyard (a good friend of Lucas') These wines are limited and actually not bad, though I have had better.

once at the main house you actually can park in the circular dive in front of the house and you just walk right into the main front door, just like a house. This is a very welcoming feeling and it feel like you are just visiting a friend.
The decor is very Rick and vicorian (ah, my style!) and has stunning props and art work displayed throughout the home from various LucasFilms movies.

I got to go into the remarkable library there at the ranch and a funny story is that on one of the desks was a stack of magazines with pages tabbed to stories taking about Star Wars. I flipped a Entertainment Weekly magazine open that was sitting on the desk to the page where there was an article about our film "Revelations" and placed that open on the top pile of the magazines. Hah, best I could do to perhaps get some attention at the ranch. Funny thing is that Entertainment Weekly gave us a review rating of a B- (same as "Revenge of the Sith")

Anyway, I did indeed have lunch at the ranch after I had a brief tour of the house, and sorry to say nothing happened and I didn't bump into anyone, just had a very enjoyable meal with a good friend and I smiled the whole time. It was a dream. Though I did glance and notice at the table next to us there was a placecard that is used to reserve tables, and that said "GL & Rick) Hmm, wonder who that could be??

Well, though I tried to stall lunch hoping George and Rick might have come down for lunch it never happened, but what can I say. I got to have lunch at the Ranch! I then proceeded to spend a good deal at the Skywalker Ranch Gift Shop (your welcome George) as I was told DO NOT come home without hats, sweatshirts, and so forth. I loaded up and said good by to beautiful Marin County, and a dream that is always with me.. Someday I tell you.. Someday. Dare to Dream!!

SOMETHING FUN
If you have Google Earth (a very cool FREE program) click THIS FILE to see the Ranch!

2 comments:

Mrdodobird said...

"I am a person that puts his pants on one leg at a time and feel that other people do so as well"

I don't.

I figure, if I don't have the coordination to jump in, both legs at once, I don't deserve to be up from bed yet.

Shane Felux said...

Ian, I would expect nothing less from you, besides I am surprised if you even wear pants. Your a nut :)